ATM cum Debit cards are somehow vulnerable to frauds in India. After demonetization, People loves to cashless and using digital payment options like UPI, Bank Transfer, Cheque, and Wallets like PayTM, freecharge, Mobikwik, etc. But many of us are not completely aware with hidden risks of using Bank online such as Carding & Online Frauds related to ATM cum Debit card.
Hackers knows how to get your money. If we really wants real cashless economy, we need to know how to prevent our hard earned money from hacker hand.
Indian ATM cum Debit Card Vs Credit card ?
Indian Credit card can be easily hack by overseas hackers because it’s already activated for International use without Verified by Visa / Mastercard SecureCode. And Indian ATM cum Debit card is almost secured by overseas hackers because it’s not pre-activated for International use. Yes, both are very different in terms of security. In India we also have our own “Rupay” Debit Card that impossible to hack by overseas hackers.
How to Prevent from ATM Debit Card Fraud ?
- Change your daily/monthly card transaction limit : You can change your card daily limit online through NetBanking, Phone Banking, or Branch. Change it to minimum if you generally using card for small transaction.
- Apply for SMS alert : Always register you mobile number with bank and activate SMS alert, So you will get every deduction alert. In case of fraud, you can block your card immediately for another misuse and file a complaint to Bank/Police immediately. Police & Bank may refund your all money.
- Use only Indian “RuPay” debit card : RuPay is only India own service and only Indian merchant accept it. So even know your RuPay card details, enyone can’t use it anywhere. Because it full Protected by OTP.
- If VISA or MasterCard, Deactivate Overseas access : If you have own a old debit card without CHIP, It means you already blocked for International use and you are fully secured by hacker. But you have CHIP & PIN Debit card, It may activated for International use. So If you don’t have any International use, deactivate it for Overseas.
- Never disclose your Card number, Expiry date & CVV : Yes, You must never tell anyone even to bank employee about card details. and never share debit card information over phone, email or chat.
- Never disclose OTP : It is very important part to keep safe every OTP and never share over phone, email or chat to anyone even bank employee. OTP mainly use to verify payment by bank and It is very confidential part.
- Use Virtual Debit Card for Online Transaction : Yes, You can use VCC (virtual credit card) to online less trusted websites. Virtual Credit card is a Prepaid card provides by Many of bank and wallets. You can use Pockets by ICICI Bank, UDIO card, DBS Digibank like Wallets too.
- Make Sure the Website is Safe and Encrypted (https) : If you paying online, You must sure where you entered the card details is fully Encrypted otherwise hackers may know your card details. If you don;t have other option, you can also use VCC (Virtual credit card) in less trusted websites.
- Avoid Public WiFi or Shared Computers to access Internet : Only use your debit cards in your personal computer and mobile device with trusted internet connection. Hackers can access your card details using local IP attack on public internet. So never use it or you can buy a Premium VPS server too.
- Use Updated Anti Virus software for extra care : Your PC/mobile can easily affected by Virus and Trojan. hacker can easily get your card details using affected devices.
So, these are some useful tips for ATM cum Debit card safety. Safe use of debit cards is crucial to protecting your hard earned money. Just follow these tips and protect your money from hackers.